Are you married to a U.S. citizen and want to live with your spouse in the United States permanently? The IR-2 visa may be the perfect option for you. In this article, we will explain what the IR-2 visa is, who needs it, eligibility requirements, and how to apply.
What is the IR-2 Visa?
The IR-2 visa is a type of immigrant visa that allows the spouse of a U.S. citizen to enter and live in the United States permanently. This visa is specifically for spouses of U.S. citizens who got married abroad and wish to join their spouse in the United States.
Who Needs an IR-2 Visa?
The IR-2 visa is for the spouse of a U.S. citizen who got married outside the United States. If you are already married and your spouse is a U.S. citizen, you can apply for an IR-2 visa to permanently live with your spouse in the United States.
Why Do You Need an IR-2 Visa?
The IR-2 visa is necessary for spouses of U.S. citizens who want to live and work in the United States. Without this visa, you cannot enter the United States as an immigrant and obtain a green card.
Eligibility for the IR-2 Visa
To be eligible for the IR-2 visa, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must be married to a U.S. citizen
- You must have a valid marriage certificate
- You and your spouse must intend to live together in the United States
- You must meet the income requirements of your U.S. citizen spouse, or have a joint sponsor who meets the income requirements
- You must pass a medical examination
- You must not have any criminal convictions or immigration violations
How to Apply for the IR-2 Visa
To apply for the IR-2 visa, you will need to follow these steps:
- Your U.S. citizen spouse will need to file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
- Once the I-130 is approved, it will be sent to the National Visa Center (NVC) for processing
- The NVC will provide instructions on how to complete the DS-260 Immigrant Visa Application and schedule a visa interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate in your country
- Attend the visa interview with all required documentation, including your passport, marriage certificate, medical examination results, and police clearance certificates
The IR-2 visa is an excellent option for spouses of U.S. citizens who want to live permanently and work in the United States. If you meet the eligibility requirements and follow the application process, you can join your spouse in the United States and start your new life together.
Our Love Visa makes your immigration process easy, fast, and worry-free, guaranteed. We provide you with complementary tools and resources free that help you plan your future in the United States together. Learn about how OLV is helping couples through their immigration journey.