If you are engaged to a U.S. citizen and wish to get married in the United States, you may be eligible to apply for a K-1 fiancé visa. The K-1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa that allows the foreign fiancé(e) to enter the United States for a period of 90 days to get married and apply for adjustment of status to a permanent resident. This article will provide a comprehensive guide to the requirements and application process for the K-1 fiancé visa.
The Our Love Visa Experience
Our Love Visa has a simple mission. We believe it should not be difficult or expensive to bring couples together. OLV has helped thousands of couples navigate the immigration process, and it would be a privilege to help you too. Join the OLV Community today!
To be eligible for a K-1 fiancé visa, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must be engaged to a U.S. citizen who will sponsor your visa application.
- You and your fiancé(e) must have met in person within the past two years, with some exceptions.
- You must be legally eligible to marry and intend to marry within 90 days of entering the United States.
- You must not have any criminal or immigration violations that would make you inadmissible to the United States.
The Application Process
Here are the steps involved in the application process for a K-1 fiancé visa:
- Your U.S. citizen fiancé(e) files a Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e), with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The form must be accompanied by evidence of your engagement, meeting in person, and other supporting documents.
- Once the USCIS approves the petition, it will be forwarded to the National Visa Center (NVC) for processing.
- The NVC will send the case to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the country where you live for further processing.
- You will be required to attend a visa interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate, where you must provide additional documents and undergo a medical examination.
- If your visa is approved, you will be issued a K-1 visa, which will allow you to enter the United States for a period of 90 days to get married.
Here are the documents that you will need to submit as part of your K-1 fiancé visa application:
- A valid passport.
- A birth certificate.
- Evidence of your engagement, such as photographs and correspondence.
- Evidence of your meeting in person within the past two years, such as travel itineraries and boarding passes.
- Police certificates from all countries where you have lived for six months or more since the age of 16.
- A medical examination report completed by an authorized physician.
- Form I-134, Affidavit of Support, completed by your U.S. citizen fiancé(e), which demonstrates that he or she has sufficient income or assets to support you financially.
Here are some additional details to keep in mind regarding the K-1 fiancé visa:
- If you are already married, you are not eligible for a K-1 visa.
- If you have children who are under the age of 21 and unmarried, they may be eligible to apply for K-2 visas to accompany you to the United States.
- Once you enter the United States on a K-1 visa, you will need to apply for adjustment of status to a permanent resident within 90 days.
- If you do not get married within 90 days, you will be required to leave the United States.
Applying for a K-1 fiancé visa can be a complex process, but by understanding the eligibility requirements, the application process, required documents, and additional information, you can successfully navigate the process and enter the United States to marry your fiancé(e). It’s important to ensure that all the requirements are met and the application is completed accurately and completely to avoid delays or denials in the visa application process. With this guide, you are equipped with the knowledge and resources to successfully apply for a K-1 fiancé visa and start your new life together in the United States.
Our Love Visa makes your immigration process easy, fast, and worry-free, guaranteed. We provide you with complementary tools and resources free that help you plan your future in the United States together. Learn about how OLV is helping couples through their immigration journey.