Goldstein Immigration Lawyers

Goldstein Immigration Lawyers is a top rated, award-winning immigration law firm with offices on the West and East coasts. 

At Goldstein Immigration Lawyers, we have learned that open and honest communication is key to your success. We also believe in providing personal access to your immigration lawyer: we are always here for you. We care about you. We will never give you false hope. Rather, we pledge to make the most of even the smallest possibilities of achieving success for you and your loved ones.

Our team of immigration attorneys stand ready to work tirelessly for immigrants throughout Southern California, helping you broaden your horizons and achieve your life’s goals. As a leading immigration attorney in Los Angeles, Joshua L. Goldstein has remained consistently engaged in all areas of immigration, visa and citizenship law for over 20 years.

Immigration Lawyers LA

Are you looking for legal advice and representation for an immigration-related matter from the top law firm in Los Angeles? If so, you have come to the right place!

Our law firm is operated by a skilled and experienced team of immigration attorneys, each of whom is committed to helping our clients overcome all manner of immigration cases. Be it deportation, visa delays, permanent residency or anything in-between, rest assured that you are not alone. We understand that immigration is one of the most difficult legal situations that you will ever have to deal with, and thus we are here to offer not only superior advice and representation but also ongoing support during this difficult time.


Falling in love and deciding to get married is incredibly exciting. But dealing with immigration paperwork and proving that your relationship is real, on the other hand, is less exciting. Let one of our Los Angeles marriage green card lawyers help you take the stress out of it and guide you through the application process, step by step.


If you are interested in pursuing a green card through marriage to a U.S. citizen or a green card holder, you can do that in one of two ways: consular processing or adjustment of status. One process takes place while your foreign-born relative is outside the country and the other process takes place while your relative is here in the United States. Each of these processes has pluses and minuses.

Consular Processing:

  • This is a good option when the immigrant spouse is residing outside the country. Submitting a marriage-based consular processing application allows the spouse to be interviewed in his or her country of origin or residence, receive an immigrant visa, and then enter the United States as a lawful permanent resident. The immigrant receives the green card after being admitted into the United States.

Adjustment of Status:

  • This is an attractive choice when the spouse is already living in the United States. An immigrant who was inspected and either paroled in or admitted to the United States may submit an application to become a permanent resident while remaining here. Please note that if the immigrant spouse entered the country illegally, committed fraud to enter the country, or has violated U.S. immigration laws in another way, he or she may need a waiver of that violation before being allowed to become a green card holder.


When filing for adjustment of status, you submit multiple forms at the same time: Form I-130, Form I-485, Form I-765, and Form I-131. Form I-130 is the petition that establishes the spousal relationship. Form I-485 is the application that allows the immigrant to adjust his or her status to become a permanent resident. Form I-765 is the application for a work permit, and Form I-131 is the application for permission to legally travel in and out of the United States before becoming a green card holder (if it is safe for the person to travel out of the country – sometimes traveling outside of the country can trigger an immigration consequence). The associated government filing fees and biometrics fees must be filed with these forms, as well.

After filing these forms, the immigrant will receive receipt notices for each application. These notices will have receipt numbers that can be used to track the status of each case here. A few weeks later, the future green card holder will be required to have his or her biometrics taken. This means that immigration will take the individual’s photograph and fingerprints in order to run a background check.

Then, several months after the applications have been filed, the individual should receive permission to work and travel internationally. After this, immigration will schedule the intending immigrant for an interview at his or her local U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) office. This interview will serve allow a USCIS officer to verify the validity of the relationship, interview each spouse about the relationship, and to confirm the information submitted in the forms and supporting documents. If the officer is satisfied that the relationship was entered into for the purpose of building a life together, and not for the purpose of evading immigration laws, then the application will be approved and the immigrant spouse will become a green card holder.


The couple is required to submit proof that the marriage was entered into in good faith. This requires a submission of documentary evidence, including:

  • Birth certificates;
  • Marriage certificates;
  • Wedding announcements;
  • Leases to apartments or a deed to a house that include the names and signatures of both spouses;
  • Joint bank accounts;
  • Joint credit card accounts;
  • Joint utility bills;
  • Joint insurance policies in the names of both spouses;
  • Joint automobile registration;
  • Drivers’ licenses with matching addresses; and
  • Photographs of the couple together throughout the course of the relationship.

The purpose of these documents is to show the officer that the couple has co-mingled their finances, that they live together, that they represent themselves to the world as a couple, and that their relationship is based on real romantic feelings for one another.

If the officer believes that the relationship is fake, this can have very serious consequences.


The process of obtaining a green card for the spouse of a U.S. permanent resident is more time-consuming. Congress limits the number of this type of visas that can be issued yearly. As a result, applicants must wait for a visa number to become available before proceeding. Applicants can wait months, or even years, before obtaining a green card through this method.


In cases where a couple petitioning USCIS for a green card has been married for less than two years at the time of their interview, the immigrant spouse will be issued a conditional green card. The conditional green card holder has all the same rights and responsibilities as a regular green card holder. However, two years from the date of issuance of the conditional green card, the couple will be required to submit an application to remove the conditions on the green card holder’s permanent resident status. This application is filed through Form I-751 and must be submitted within 90 days of the 2-year green card’s expiration date. Essentially, immigration is asking the couple to prove that the marriage is still valid – that the couple still has joint finances, still lives together, and still represents themselves to the world as married.

In the event that the marriage has ended through death or divorce prior to the two year mark, the immigrant spouse may be eligible for a waiver of the joint petition requirement.


If USCIS still has suspicions about the legitimacy of a marriage, the couple may be called in for a second interview. In these types of interviews, an immigration officer puts the spouses in separate rooms and asks each party a specific set of identical questions in an effort to see if the answers are the same. Too many inconsistencies in the interview may lead to a denial of the immigrant spouse’s green card and possible deportation.


Obtaining a green card can be difficult, so if you or a loved one is interested in relocating to the United States, it is vital that you retain the services of a dedicated attorney who can ensure that your rights are protected. Please contact a Los Angeles marriage green card lawyer by calling us and a member of our experienced legal team will help you schedule a consultation.


Phone: (213) 732-3182

Attorney Address

453 S Spring St # 1005, Los Angeles, CA 90013

More Immigration Attorneys

  • Ratner Molineaux

    Comprehensive Immigration Representation in the Bay Area At Ratner Molineaux, LLP, our attorneys combine their skill and expertise with the empathy and compassion that you need to help you throughout the lifetime of your case. Get to know our team by scrolling down and select the staff you would like to learn more about. Many…

    Attorney Details

  • Anish Vashistha, APLC

    Los Angeles Citizenship Lawyers Mastery of the law and superior service are the trademarks of the Law Firm of Anish Vashistha. We take the necessary time to consult with clients, understand their needs, draw up strategies unique to their situations, and deliver positive results. Our lawyer focuses on providing immigration-related legal services in the Los…

    Attorney Details

  • Arnaout Immigration Law Firm

    Immigration Attorneys Serving Los Angeles & Beyond At Arnaout Immigration Law Firm, our Los Angeles immigration attorneys understand the high stakes associated immigration law matters. Often times, livelihoods are hanging in the balance, families are fighting to stay together, and people are struggling to continue the lives that they have built here in the U.S. That…

    Attorney Details

  • Immigration Law Office of Los Angeles

    A 5-Star rated Immigration Law Firm Helping you Achieve the American Dream of Citizenship The Best Immigration Attorneys in LA. Over 35,000 cases Approved. Whether it’s Investment, Employment or Family based Visa, the Immigration Law Office of Los Angeles will Advise you as to your Best Next Step. Your American Dream starts now! If you…

    Attorney Details

  • Hanlon Law Group, P.C.

    Los Angeles Immigration Attorney – Award-Winning Immigration & Nationality Legal Representation At Hanlon Law Group, P.C., we are an immigration law firm for the 21st Century. In recent years, the political climate has produced a backlash against immigration, with increasingly complex rules governing legal admission to and naturalization in the United States. Our Los Angeles…

    Attorney Details

Similar Posts